December is Skin Care Awareness Month, so before you hit that beach over the festive season, we thought we would share 10 tips with you on how to keep your skin safe and healthy…
1. Limit Sun Exposure: Ultraviolet rays emitted by the sun cause many types of skin damage including skin cancer, freckles, age spots, wrinkles and discolourations.
2. Stay Hydrated: Skin that is properly hydrated retains pliability and prevents chapped skin or scaly, flaky skin — so drink lots of water, use the right mustering cream and take warm showers or baths.
3. Take Health Precautions: Cold sores are caused by a viral infection of the skin bordering the lips, while bacteria can contribute to acne and other skin conditions. Don’t share lip balms or toothbrushes or drinks.
4. Use Gentle Skin Care: Make sure to wash your face twice daily to remove dirt, oils, germs, and dead cells. And remember to pat your skin dry — don’t rub — then apply your facial moisturiser.
5. Know Your Skin: Pay attention to odd freckles, moles, and growths on your skin, and consult your doctor if you notice any changes.
6. Cover Up: The sun’s rays are most intense between 10h00 and 16h00 so stay indoors during this time, or if you must be outdoors, cover up and wear sunscreen.
7. Spread On Sunscreen: Wear a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Waterproof sunscreen is best if you’ll be swimming.
8. Protect Your Ears: This is one area we all forget and according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, 80 percent of skin cancers occur on the head, neck and hands — so wear a hat!
9. Protect From Reflected Light: Keep in mind that even umbrellas or shade trees provide only moderate protection from ultraviolet light, and they don’t protect you from rays reflected off sand, snow, concrete and many other surfaces.
10. Don’t Be Fooled By The Weather: Take care on cool, cloudy days too — you can still get burned.